Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EV Tax Refund

Hello,

How am I able to get my tax refund $7500 for my 2023 Tesla Model 3. When I input all my information it came out to $0, but im not sure if I did the correct steps. Can someone please tell me how I should move forward with this? I have already submitted my taxes.

Thank you,

Kim

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

EV Tax Refund

If you have already submitted your tax return and it has been accepted by the IRS, then the only way to try to claim the credit is to file an amended return.  

You can create the amended return and ask questions along the way if you need further help from the Community here, but if you completed the section and there was no indication of any issues other than TurboTax stating that your credit amount is $0, then an amended return may not give you any different results.  

Take a look at the return that you filed to see if you had any tax liability that could be offset by the EV credit.  If there is no tax liability, then you would not receive the credit.  Look at line 18 of your Form 1040 to see if it is greater than zero.  If so, then it may be worth trying to amend your return.  

Use the following TurboTax help article to get started:

How do I amend my federal tax return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

EV Tax Refund

Hi Annette,

Thank you for the helpful information. Unfortunately I do not have a 1040 form, I have a W2, 15400, and a 1098-T. Is there something on any of those documents that I can reference to see if the amend would be worth going forth with? Also, where can I find my tax liability? 

Thank you,

Kim

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

EV Tax Refund

Your form 1040 is the tax return that you file.  It is the form that all of the information is entered on. 

In order to Amend, you would be amending your 1040 with a 1040X.  You would find your remaining tax liability on line 22 of your 1040 form. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

EV Tax Refund

Hi Vanessa,

Thank you I was able to find the 1040 and refer to line 22. This made it more clear.

Thank you,

Kim

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies