Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

6 years of unfiled taxes

Hello, I've failed to file my taxes for the last 6 years now (I believe the last time was back in 2017 or 2018) and now I don't know what to do... I've moved states 2 times since then and I have worked in all 3 different states at different points in my life all without filing taxes. I've had about 8 jobs since then but I don't have all my W-2 forms as I never got them in the mail due to my moving. I'm just lost in the whole process now... What steps do I take to set this straight?? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

6 years of unfiled taxes

Tax professionals who have special licensing or certification include attorneys, CPAs, and Enrolled Agents. Attorneys and CPAs are licensed by states; Enrolled Agents are licensed by the IRS to practice nationwide. There are also other types of qualified return preparers, such as CTEC-registered preparers in California. As others have mentioned, they can help you get missing tax documents and help you navigate the federal and state tax systems.

If you don't have carryover items from year to year such as credits, losses and depreciation, you could prepare the last three years' returns using TurboTax. See here for details about prior year products. You can either prepare the returns yourself, let a tax expert do taxes for you with Live Full Service, or get expert help as you go and a final review with Live Assisted.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

6 years of unfiled taxes

You clearly need to seek out a local tax professional to give you advice and assistance in completing your prior year tax returns.

A DIY tax preparation software solution is not a solution for your situation.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

6 years of unfiled taxes

Honestly, you should go visit a tax professional. One reason is that they can take care of this in a methodical, unemotional way. They will have the ability to find all forms filed with the IRS over the years, like W-2s, 1099s, etc.

They will also have software that will do all these states and forms - it would be difficult for you for all these forms.

You might look at TurboTax Verified Pros to see if you can find one near you.

Otherwise look for a nearby CPA or Enrolled Agent. Enrolled Agents are admitted to practice before the IRS - that's all they do. Please see Find an Enrolled Agent.

6 years of unfiled taxes

"you should go visit a tax professional" by this are you referring to CPA's? or is there a different sort off tax professional? or are you referring to go to the IRS directly? Sorry if this question seems dumb but hence me being here in the first place. Thank you! again! Any and all help is very appreciated!

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

6 years of unfiled taxes

Tax professionals who have special licensing or certification include attorneys, CPAs, and Enrolled Agents. Attorneys and CPAs are licensed by states; Enrolled Agents are licensed by the IRS to practice nationwide. There are also other types of qualified return preparers, such as CTEC-registered preparers in California. As others have mentioned, they can help you get missing tax documents and help you navigate the federal and state tax systems.

If you don't have carryover items from year to year such as credits, losses and depreciation, you could prepare the last three years' returns using TurboTax. See here for details about prior year products. You can either prepare the returns yourself, let a tax expert do taxes for you with Live Full Service, or get expert help as you go and a final review with Live Assisted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies