Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

529 pa

If I switch beneficiaries from my 529, does that restart the clock for 529 for waiting15 years to transfer to a roth ira or is it null and void for roth ira?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
TeriH
Employee Tax Expert

529 pa

Good question!

I actually did this yesterday.  And I most assuredly have switched from my sons names to mine as the account holder and beneficiary.  They stated, it was unclear, but at present they were following the guidance and made the distribution.  All other conditions were satisfied.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

529 pa

So I have a question. If I have 150k in the 529 account and I keep changing beneficiaries to family members to donate to their 529, is that allowed? Does the clock reset every 15 years? Id love to hear your thoughts since you did it! This is interesting.

TeriH
Employee Tax Expert

529 pa

well the kicker is you can only get out $35k , at present.  So, if you've overachieved and have an excess of $150k you are going to be severely limited to just $35k.  Unless, ... you can somehow split the $150k between 5 accounts, and then wait the 15 years. 

I'm not seeing another way around that.

529 pa

Hey its worth thinking about. Thank you!

TeriH
Employee Tax Expert

529 pa

and i have!  

have you explored HSA's as a retirement saving vehicle?  If you have that option, I like it better.   It's triple tax advantaged, in that it goes in tax free, comes out tax free and grows tax free.  Best of all worlds.

529 pa

Yep! I have actually done that. My hierarchy of saving on taxes is maxing out Roth 401k since Im 32 and I will be in a higher tax bracket later, max out Roth IRA, max out hsa, and next is helping with college.  Either way, doing that I can 🙂 Good news is with the 529, I am not looking to access the funds anytime soon and I am trying to help with education either for my future kids or my nephew. Spreading the wealth.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies