cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

No credit score

I have 0 credit score and can not get credit started becasue I have no history. how do I fix that?

3 Comments
Level 3

No credit score

Apply for a secured credit card. Usually you need a minimum of $250 in a savings account with the bank or credit union. They will give you a credit card secured by thya that $150 balance. You should use it and pay it off regularly for at least a year. It's also good to increase the credit line by adding to the account and requesting increases. After one year you can request your balance to be converted to a true line of credit and your savings will then be available for withdrawal.
Also, Target and Walmart have been pretty easy cards to get.
Good luck.
Level 7

No credit score

Yes. Secured card helps. Save up the biggest deposit they will let you make. Spend less than 10% of the limit and pay in full each month. Discover has a great secured card as do many other issuers. Eventually they may change it to an unsecured card. Do some research first. Good luck!
Highlighted
Level 2

No credit score

Fifteen years ago I took my then, 18 yr old daughter to our local Credit Union and explained the same thing. As long as you have a job, you should be able to get a Visa. It may be a low limit and you will need to open a checking or savings account, but it’ll work. Today, my daughters credit score is in the 800s. Doing this taught her a lot about the importance of credit. Good luck to you. You can do this!