turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

hess168

How to Raise Your Credit Score

I have $55,000 worth of credit on my 3 credit cards, I carry a zero balance as I pay it off every month.  I've got money in savings too,  but because I don't have a mortgage and I no longer have a car loan because I paid that off too, they dropped my credit score by about 10 points.  I'm still over 800, but it bugs me.  I'm the lowest risk borrower there is! They like mess with me because their rewards cards pay me money and I don't pay any interest because all cards are paid in full monthly.  I think that's a bunch of crap. I'm the best kind of customer any lender would want because my name and my honor is based on it. It's the old European way in which I was raised.

TIFNRY
Returning Member

If your credit score remains the same and nothing's changing u need to take another line of credit out so they can give you good marks towards your credit score.

TIFNRY
Returning Member

I took out a loan with security finance and my credit  score  raised like 30points since December. And keeps raising. 

Yes! There is something very wrong with this system. While finally building my savings, I paid off my auto loan 6 months early and was rewarded with a 7 point drop in my credit score. Then, I paid off my student loan 3 1/2 years ahead of schedule and was further rewarded with an immediate  12 point drop. Card balances are paid in full each month and my credit score keeps dropping while my financial situation continues to improve. The relevance of this scoring model continues to be called into question.

Jean_1012

How to request a copy of my credit score and also my credit report?

@Jean_1012 wrote:

How to request a copy of my credit score and also my credit report?

You can get your credit score from Turbo --> https://turbo.intuit.com/

For your free credit reports see the link below.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

TIFNRY
Returning Member

Turbo Intuit offers credit monitoring and reports and score. But also you can get a free yearly credit report from Annualcreditreport.com but I personally like the turbo one it tells you when ur score goes up and down tells you where n what to improve its more helpful

Dont be fooled, when buying a house they only look at 1 score they kick out the high and the low. Also they look at absolutely different numbers than you can see as the consumer. As an example my 750 score is more like a 700 to a lender. DONT BE FOOLED. 

Smosburn83
Returning Member

Hello I am deaf my name Stephen Osburn I need to know about my money from work to tax ? Pls let me know ever ok or not.  

I find it very interesting,  for lack of a better word, that one can reach the 6th decade of adulthood,  be debt free after paying off an auto loan, no mortgage payment(house is paid in full), and your credit score of 823, tanks 43 points.It's become laughable at best. What's the use being enraged? It's a ridiculous, boring game, and this one is done.

Jdubb007

You need to be making double what the minimum payment is and that will help make a big difference in the next few months. 

Raised my score 160 points in six months from 570 to 730  Had 4 cards with total debt of 1900.  Paid that all of at once with stimulus check.  Set up each card to auto pay one monthly bill.  Accepted a Citibank Double cash back card with a limit of 4,400 which raised my available credit to 6400 (meaning I was much less likely to go over the recommended credit utilization.  Disputed two debts I did not know where an issue and they were resolved in a matter of days.  Set up my apt. rent for online payment which is tracked by Experian.  Yeah, the score hit from getting the new card sucked, but my score is now higher than before that drop in only one month.  Patience, and knowing that credit card money isn't real money, will help a lot!

I typically either pay off the balance and or make payments that are triple or more every month.  That doesn't help.  I've decided the answer is to never use the card again. 

did all of that. I just cut it up and threw it away. I don't want multiple cards. I don't want thousands of dollars in credit card debt just to raise my credit score.  I've lived for over 30 yrs without a credit card and my score was in the 700's.  I've had this one a year and my score immediately dropped to 600. No thank you. 

"I don't want thousands of dollars in credit card debt just to raise my credit score."

• Debt won't raise your score.  But that is a bummer that your score isn't going up.  The way the whole credit score thing is setup is very difficult to really understand and take control of..  So much of it is pretty vague 😕
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies