Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

admiralharris
Returning Member

my credit score suddenly dropped considerably

I looked at my credit score a month ago and it was in the mid 700's, near 750. I just received a notification that my score has dropped about 100 points. The only explanation I can think of is that I took a forbearance on both of my student loans, but I was told this doesn't affect my score. Could this be a mistake?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Mine dropped 100 points as well. I was wondering the same. I thought maybe they were calculating it differently. Now I am wondering why myself
lwdupont
Intuit Alumni

I had to look up what forbearance meant, but it looks like it shouldn't affect it if you didn't miss or be late on a payment before it was approved. 

"Student loan deferment and forbearance will be noted in your credit reports, and neither will hurt your overall credit score. However, your credit score will be affected if you are late or miss a payment prior to deferment or forbearance approval.".. 

from here, but it's old:

https://www.debt.org/students/forbearance-deferment/

Every month I make a payment that is not required yet. Each time they lower the credit limit by the amount of my payment, which is causing my score to drop by ~10 points each time. So here I am being punished for making payments early and lower my debt. Why? Is the system flawed?  

lwdupont
Intuit Alumni

Scott, 

That sounds odd to me - is that a secured credit card or something like that? I know the one I have doesn't work that way right now. 

Lucien

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies