turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SHB22

How to Raise Your Credit Score

I am so confused, I am never late on payments, I barely owe anything, we paid off everything, including mortgage . Why will my credit not climb? its at 692

kra1270

what is a credit builder account?

Which credit company do you use to quote a credit score? They never seem to agree. Many times the experian number is a lot lower than the other two, but yet Experian seems to be contacted the most.

bstollyy

If you have a way of fixing it, instead of bankruptcy, I would certainly give it a go, but sometimes you are so much in debt that there truly is no way to fix it,but to file bankruptcy.... I just finally got my 10 year Bankruptcy to be fully removed from my credit reports... I thought once it got removed that my score was going to go up by at least 40 points, NOT, Didn't go up at all, but at least it didn't go down, I have heard horrible stories about it making people's credit score lose tons of points! Anyways, my friend, even if you have to file bankruptcy, I know that you won't make the same mistakes ever again, you live and learn, and slowly keep growing your credit scores.... Good luck my friend... 

Sbrown

Why did my credit score go down 5 points

@Sbrown wrote:

Why did my credit score go down 5 points

Five points either way is just background noise; it is inconsequential.

Thank you for the information, it was very useful.

mdm2255

I find is discouraging that every time I PAY OFF a debt, my credit score seems to take a hit.  

Spoiler
How did your score drop when all you did was get a credit card?

@DukeDuke  wrote: How did your score drop when all you did was get a credit card?

See https://www.thebalance.com/how-opening-a-new-credit-card-affects-your-credit-score-960501

I have never myself of anyone I know ever took a 90 point hit on my credit score from only one hard inquiry, about 3 points is typically the max a score will drop from a single credit card hard inquiry. Something else hurt your score, check it out

EPSimon

The entire "credit reporting system" is flawed beyond all common sense.  Example:  I showed up on the "credit radar" 30 YEARS ago.  In that time, I have had the basics (credit cards) to the more stringent home mortgage.  However, if you look at the "age" of my credit, it reflects 4.5 years (deemed "fair" by Experian/Equifax/TransUnion).  Thus, my credit score is rated, in part, as if I was my 25 year old daughter.  It isn't as if the agencies don't have the data by which to reflect my credit history correctly, they just don't deem it important (despite all accounts, some in the 6-figures, that were paid on time and several paid off before their contract maturity date) UNLESS we are talking about a $300 Kohl's card I had a late payment on.  Once.  THAT they have lingering on like a cancer.  It doesn't matter that the account was immediately brought current and then paid off entirely a month later.  Score dropped 65 points for that late payment, gained 2 points when it was paid off.  Which brings up another flaw.  If I open an account (you get good human points if your credit portfolio is "diverse) then the age of my credit history is reduced and I lose points.  If I close an old account, I lose points even though it has never been late, reduces my D/I ratio, etc.  Then, these agencies score you on an entirely different "model" from auto finance and mortgages.  Lastly, but certainly not all inclusive, are the hoops you have to go through to get something corrected on your file.  They are quick to penalize you, but excruciatingly slow when it comes to correcting an error they have confirmed IS an error.  Example:  GMAC made an error which, when they reported it on my file, plummeted my score almost 100 points.  It took each agency over 6 months to correct it, and despite my not having any late payments/closed accounts/new lines of credit and in fact, my debt ratio dropped during that time, when the error was removed from my report?  My score only improved 35 points.

Bottom line here is this:  If any other business was as inept in their practices as the "Elite Three" (aka: Judge/Jury/Executioner), they would be out of business.

EPSimon

If you don't use a card, the lender will close it for non-use.  Your credit will take a hit for doing NOTHING wrong.  The government should shut down the "Elite Three" until they come up with an ACCURATE way to reflect the financial stability of someone.

JBeck9932

I haven't had a late payment in 6 years and still affecting my score :(

From a motorcycle wreck and while I was out of work I couldn't make the payment and the insurance took months to send the payoff check! :(

brenh59

This is a mistake because my student loan is not due until I graduate. Even so, I am paying $50.00 per month on it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies