turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Pl130sk

How to Raise Your Credit Score

How can I stop companies from checking my credit report in order to see if they want to solicit me for their credit cards? In other words, credit inquiries I did not initiate?

@Pl130sk wrote:
How can I stop companies from checking my credit report in order to see if they want to solicit me for their credit cards? In other words, credit inquiries I did not initiate?

They are most likely soft inquiries which do not adversely impact your credit score. If you see hard inquiries (for credit applications) that you did not authorize, you can dispute them.

See https://www.creditkarma.com/advice/i/hard-credit-inquiries-and-soft-credit-inquiries/

Your issue could be that you dont have a variety of credit lines. Or you dont have enough credit and or debt (yes, debt! 🙂 Heres what's factored in to the formula for score results:
Payment history: 35%
Amount of debt owed: 30%
Age of credit history: 15%
New lines of credit: 10%
Credit mix: 10%
Hope that helps!

I looked at my credit score and I wonder why TransUnion is always so much lower than the other credit companies.
Actually, I have less on my credit cards etc and my score went down with TransUnion. Less debt etc . Clean report and TransUnion is so negative compared to the other credit companies. My credit score is like 59 points higher than TransUnion.
Something is not right the way they decide.☹️

@Wondering 1 wrote:
I looked at my credit score and I wonder why TransUnion is always so much lower than the other credit companies.
☹️

The three majors compile their own reports and there are several scoring models. Obviously, that accounts for the variation.

What do I do to remove bad credit history from closed accounts.  Had mortgage change hand 3 times and with each I had late payments.  The final holder of account foreclosed and is now closed but late payment history still shows. What can I do to have these removed to help my score.

@erdjr63  wrote:

What can I do to have these removed to help my score.

You really can't do much of anything beyond maintaining a good record going forward and allowing the passage of time to take effect. 

See https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-cards/i/how-long-do-late-payments-stay-on-credit-report/

On the other hand, you can and should report errors on your credit report.

See https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0151-disputing-errors-credit-reports

Use new era debt solutions company. They will negotiate payment of your debts without filing for bankruptcy. They negotiate hard. I am using them successfully. They are the most coat effective company. I can recommend you to them. My email is [email address removed] if you want to email me. I just want the help you.

Please reminds me of the reason of your email if you email me.

Thanks.
Jose a Rivera
Redd
Level 1

I have raised my score from a 512 to a 725 in the last 6 months by cleaning up my report to 0 negative and opening a credit builder account and several store cards and cash cards. I now have $19,800 in available credit and have 1% utilization. Hoping to buy a house next year. I have done a lot of homework to get where I am. Don't believe everything you hear and don't apply for cards that the free credit report companies say you have a good chance of getting, remember they get paid every time you apply through there web sites. Several credit card companies will let you pre qualifiy on there web sites

What’s a credit builder account? Did you open up a low interest credit card, and if so, which bank/company?
JRay

Very usefull information. Great. Thanx this community!

I went to experian on June 15 and they said my credit score was 798. They sent me an email on June 20 saying my credit score was 765. This whole credit score thing is crap. Within 5 days I dropped 33 points? None of my bills were even due at this period. And I always pay all of my bills on time. What ever happened to no more 3 credit scores when they all were supposed to merge? This is a garbage system of credit reporting. The 3 credit reporting agency's are probably getting a kick back from financial institutions to under value peoples credit score so they can charge higher interest rates!

Credit scores are not included with credit reports. Additionally, credit scores are not stored as part of your credit history. Your credit score is calculated only when your credit score is requested. Your credit score can change over time, based on your credit history—including late payments, amount of available debt, and more. By the way https://www.boostcredit101.com/ nice guys who can boost your credit score.

I realize there are 3 different credit reporting agencies but When I check my score it’s different depending on what online service I’m using for the same credit reporting agency. Why?
Also recently I purchased a car (and before going I checked all 3 reporting agencies scores).
When they pulled my credit at the dealership ALL 3 numbers were different! They told me that they get different numbers that banks and credit unions use, please educate me on this “different” rating numbers used by banks and credit unions. Thanks for any information.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies