turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to Raise Your Credit Score

BEST path to financial freedom ever!!! 

Driscoll

Thanks for the free info.  I have been working on that particular detail for a very long time.

Monkies5
Returning Member

Thank you! 🙂

Use your credit card like a debt card and pay it off the entire balance weekly. 

I also have a home mortgage loan which I pay double the payment amount on every month. My score is over 800pts and i'm 31. 

well, i usually set myself a limit of about $65-75 per month on my cc, my limit is $2500.  and i pay it in full plus $5 more...so far, my score keeps jumping up.  try not to keep a balance each month...if you can't afford it, don't put it on a cc.  can't say it any other way...that's how cc debt builds up and your score almost always takes a hit.

i currently have a wells fargo cc with a $2500 credit limit...i pay off my balance each month and am very satistifed with it (i learned my lesson with credit cards).  i'm thinking of getting a discover card later in the year once my score gets higher...do you think a discover card is a good choice?  i don't plan on getting anymore cc's after that.

Thanks for the knowledge.  I will apply  and live it!.

They say the trick is to always have a balance. Example spend $50 and only pay back 40 then the next month always leave a unpaid balance of $10 and make minimum payments on time I have been using this method and has done wonders to my credit score

karensut

I just see on our credit report our DTI is 100!  It does not show any income, which we have income. How do we change this? We are currently looking for a home, we do not need these reports to trip us up. We are retired, but we have income. Any thoughts? 

Income is not really a component of your credit score.

Your debt-to-income (DTI) is typically calculated by the income reported by the consumer. If you are using Turbo, the income figure is factored into that matrix.

Sajee

What impact does closing credit cards have on credit scores?

@Sajee wrote:

What impact does closing credit cards have on credit scores?

Closing credit card accounts can lower your credit score.

See https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/does-closing-a-credit-card-hurt-credit-score/

However, the actual impact depends upon your credit history, including other open accounts and debt utilization.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been able to raise my score by asking my current credit card lenders to increase my limit periodically. I still keep the balances at zero each month. 

richkae25

Very true. I had excellent credit but on a whim, I decided to get two credit cards that help improve scores. Unfortunately, I hit a rough patch financially, and started adding onto those cards until I maxed out. Now, that is where my refund is going, but I will continue using them for help instead of a crutch after this. My score plummeted down to very low. I have a lot of work to do and learned my lesson about budgeting and priorities. 

Kelly20

My credit score took a big dip last month because it now only shows 15 years of credit history.  I have over 30 years.  Why would it drop 15 years of history?  Does anyone know who I should talk to about that?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies