Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dad1669
Returning Member

Payment with a US Bank card using a foreign address.

I am a Turbotax user since it first became available, and have used it with pleasure for decades to file my US 1040 form from Switzerland where I worked and now reside in retirement.  I'm a US citizen with a US bank account and US credit cards that I have used over the years to pay my Turbotax fees.  Now I discover that due to my foreign address used on my tax return Intuit will for the first time not even accept a pre-approved payment charge with either my USAA Visa card or my US bank Visa debit card.  I presumed that this year I could pay using my IRS refund.  Now I discover that this is also impossible.  How can I proceed with electronic filing of my finalized 2021 tax form?  Can I pay by mailing a check from my Portland, Oregon bank?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dwain Epps

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You can file your tax return from anywhere that you have internet access.  However, you will need to pay your TurboTax fees using a U.S.-based credit/debit card.  If you are getting a tax refund the IRS will not make a direct deposit to a foreign bank--they will mail you a check.

What forms of payment does TurboTax Online accept?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dad1669
Returning Member

I finally found a way to work around the problem of Turbotax refusing to process my payment from a US credit card, and was pleased to see the surprising welcome affirmation after it was received, "We are pleased that you can now send your form to IRS from your foreign address!"  A few days later one of the forms blocked it due to my foreign address!  Turbotax has strayed far away from the reliable tool I used for many years living and working abroad without any problem.  I hope they will review and correct this problem before the next tax year rolls around.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, what was your workaround?

Dad1669
Returning Member

My credit card changed my foreign address for a former US address, and I changed the address on my draft 1040 form to the same.  This was in fact the suggestion of one of your former expert colleagues that I found on the internet.  Not a very nice way to have to operate these days when many of us long-time Turbotax users living abroad got on so comfortably in years past.

Hi everyone, has anything changed in 2022 in terms of accepting the US based bank's debit card with foreign address ?
Some banks allow to have a foreign address on your US bank account.
For what I was able to find out, PayPal is not an option for paying TurboTax either.
Is there a way, for a US citizen living abroad, without a domestic US based address, and US based phone number but with US domestic Bank account to pay for TurboTax ?

Thank you for your time,

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for additional information on filing your taxes with a foreign address:

@micovic657 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies