Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lroseeee
Returning Member

Mint: Bulk tagging/credit card purchases counted twice

I recently changed how I account for credit card transactions in Mint. I'll try to keep this concise.

Before:

I used to not have my credit card linked to my Mint account. I would split the credit card payment once it posted and categorize it appropriately. Therefore I was counting my credit transactions (in budgets) at the time of PAYMENT, rather than the time of TRANSACTION. This system got too complicated and I decided to sync my Chase account with Mint. 

Now: 

My Chase account is linked with mint and I want to count towards budget when the transaction posts. 

The problem: 

Credit card transactions are now showing up twice. Both 1)  the original credit card transaction (on my Chase account), and 2) the credit card payment (from my checking account), are being counted towards budgets and trends.

HELP! :'(  What is the quickest and most effeciant way to remedy this?

Is there a way to bulk add tags? 

I am hoping to save myself from hours of going back to every single credit card payment for the last 5 years and individually marking it as a duplicate or adding a tag that is hidden from budget and trends. Any advice you have would be amazing! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If Mint works like Quicken you should have a separate Credit Card account.  Do not split the credit card payment in your checking account.  Only enter the charges into the CC account.   The checking account payment would then be a single Transfer to the CC account.    

lroseeee
Returning Member

@vol Yeah I understand now the way I've done it previously is not the best way / sustainable unless you hardly use credit card. This question is about how to make the switch effectively and to remove previous "split" transactions from my budgets. 

lroseeee
Returning Member

I did figure out how to bulk tag, so I guess that solves this question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I made the same mistake and now I'm not sure how to solve this? 

Did you go back and EDIT all the Credit Card payments?  So I am assuming that my linked credit card (with the correct categories for the original transactions) will provide the info so I know where the money is going...?

I should NOT split the credit card payment in transactions.  Just make a single payment with TRANSFER to the CC account?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies