turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have collection/charge off on my credit report and the remark is student loans assigned to government collection account their closed also with "WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

I recently applied for a loan consolidation on my defaulted loans that was Jan 27 2017 I was told today my loans are waiting for approval
Ok I checked my credit report and I noticed the loans I consolidated now has "collection/ charge off " term 36 and money past due and the remark says student loan assigned to government collection account the loans are also closes they just updated this jan 7 2017 and a unsecured one was "charged off" can someone explain to me what this means
Also before I consolidated my loans I had a tax offset well it said I MAY HAVE A TAX OFFSET can someone please help me understand what's going on I'm I still in offset will they take my taxes or do I now owe IRS for interest on the loans
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnS7

I have collection/charge off on my credit report and the remark is student loans assigned to government collection account their closed also with "WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

If you consolidated your delinquent student loans and are now paying on them, you can call the Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 at any point to see if you're still subject to any offset.  

If you owe certain deliquent debts, such as student loan debt, that were submitted for offset, your refund can be used to pay off these debts.  

The IRS or the Department of Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS), which issues IRS tax refunds, can offset or reduce your federal tax refund or withhold the entire amount to satisfy the debt. Any portion of your refund remaining after an offset will be refunded to you.

Treasury Offset Program & Debt Management Services

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AnnS7

If you consolidated your delinquent student loans and are now paying on them, you can call the Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 at any point to see if you're still subject to any offset.  

If you owe certain deliquent debts, such as student loan debt, that were submitted for offset, your refund can be used to pay off these debts.  

The IRS or the Department of Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS), which issues IRS tax refunds, can offset or reduce your federal tax refund or withhold the entire amount to satisfy the debt. Any portion of your refund remaining after an offset will be refunded to you.

Treasury Offset Program & Debt Management Services

Ok thank you for the information I also did a loan consolidation through fedloan and was approved at first when I called the offset hot line it started to contact DOE or The one handling my debt collection which was FMS but lately when I call it still say may be offset but FMS is no longer listed only DOE what does this mean

My student loan has badly affected my credit score to a point I was getting depressed and tried getting help to fix my credit really fast, from big credit repair companies who advised I pay required interests on the loans have paid off, with this my credit score only got better to 538,My lender told me ill need 100+  to get a mortgage loan.before April, it all seems imposssible because the lawyer I tried to hire to help dispute collections on my credit is asking for a down payment of $1000 which I dont have till my accountant suggested I contact [email address removed] who was able to help raise my score to 779 in less than four weeks, information to his service helped me back on my feet. Im sure this can help someone here too.you can thank me later.

amyaditi1

From my personal experience so far regarding my credit profile,I earlier didn't know how about it was and when I knew I had foreclosures, later payments and even over dues, I felt really bad because then it was late and the result of my bad credit affected my credit score which was about 379 and 401 to get my loan approved I needed 700 and above, I sort for help from big credit repair companies, but they couldn't help me get my score where I wanted to be in the short period I need to get a loan to keep a roof over my child's head, till a lender introduced me to a repair man who has access to this credit companies who got my credit up to 714 and 757 and also educated me about how to maintain my credit and maintain a really good score, [website removed] is where ill refer anyone that needs a deadline fix on there credit .you can thank me later.

Alexandramartina34
Returning Member

My name is Alexandra Martina, I live in California. My apartment got flooded some years back and I didn’t have the right rental insurance. There the bill came up to $50000 and I was asked to pay but didn’t have enough money so I agreed on a payment plan but got declined then had an eviction on my credit report. I didn’t realize that I had an eviction on my report until last 3 months while I was trying to buy a house, the realtor told me that my credit score was low(520) and wasn’t qualified for anything. I want to buy a house, I want to buy properties and start a business. I needed help and I found CREDIT STREAMERS here online and visited their website, they are good and kind credit repair team. They pulled my score to 784, deleted the eviction and other negative item on my report, and added good trade lines. I got everything I wanted and even more. Thanks to the entire team. You can visit their website {website removed] [phone number removed] [email address removed]

I ha ve a $600 credit card , charged off on my credit report

I can't see the email but I'm really trying to raise my credit I just got it to 548 please tell me the email so I can thank you lol

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies