turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get rid of high interest rate credit cards without it affecting my credit score?

I have 2 credit cards both have annual fees and high interest rates. How can I get rid of them without my credit score going down?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JBJ
Level 3

How do I get rid of high interest rate credit cards without it affecting my credit score?

Good question!

I've found one tactic is regularly effective in situations like these (cable providers, credit card companies, etc.): just call 'em and ask them to waive the annual fee/lower the interest rate to something more reasonable. If you're in good standing, they're usually receptive to the ol', "Hey, yeah, I'm just gonna close the account and move on" proposal." No need to be annoyed or angry with 'em... just be matter-of-fact. Lots of companies respond reasonably to such calls. 

If that doesn't work, I'd propose something perhaps a little more unconventional: just pay the cards down and close the accounts. Yeah, your credit score will take a hit, but if you're not going to make a big purchase these next 12 - 24 months, the money you save may make it worth the short-term score set-back. 

Thoughts? Any other suggestions from the Turbo community? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies