Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jace

Drastic Credit Score Drop

So I check my score ALL THE TIME. I love the Turbo app. And I've been trying to get my score as high as possible with potentially buying my first house. I recently had a decent score of 768 and it dropped 28 point this period! This is what I know of, and I'm trying to understand why this happened... 

I used a creditor I've had since 2016, never a late payment, and the amount put on it was almost nothing- A whopping $300. and the only reason I used the card is because (my attempt of being responsible) I have forced my banks debit card to have some heavy restrictions to reduce potential fraud purchases. Would putting that small of a charge on a credit card make my score drop that much?

...I'm almost sure I've heard of people going as wild as $1.00 purchases on credit lines. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Drastic Credit Score Drop

@Jace wrote:

Would putting that small of a charge on a credit card make my score drop that much?

It is possible as a result of the credit utilization rate or something similar. 

Regardless, you should check your credit reports for inaccuracies. You can get your credit reports free of charge from the site below.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies