Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nauhoque
Returning Member

With F1 visa, I was in a school in the first half of the year, I have a W-2 for that. But, now I am in another school (in another state), I have 1042-S form, not W-2.

I couldn't find any option to file tax for the second school in TurboTax. How do I do that without having W-2?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

With F1 visa, I was in a school in the first half of the year, I have a W-2 for that. But, now I am in another school (in another state), I have 1042-S form, not W-2.

Are you an F1 student?  When did you arrive in the US on an F1 visa?  Thank you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nauhoque
Returning Member

This is my third year in the US. It's F1.  I switched school last year. I have W2 from my previous school and1042-S from the new school (it's in another state).  I couldn't find any option to file tax with 1042-S in TurboTax. Thanks. 

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you have been in the US on an F1 student visa for less than 5 years or part years, you are a US nonresident and cannot use TurboTax.

If you previously filed a US resident return, you will need to amend your prior year returns.

TurboTax is only for US citizens and US residents and does not handle nonresident returns.

However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.  

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started. 

nauhoque
Returning Member

Can I amend my prior year return online with Sprintax?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You can use the steps here below to amend from 1040 resident return and file a correct 1040NR, AFTER the IRS has accepted your return and you've received a refund (or pay tax due). You will need to have your correct tax return prepared as a 1040NR. TurboTax does support nonresident returns however  we partner with Sprintax and they can help you with a 1040NR.   You cannot e-file a nonresident return, you must print it as you need to mail it in with Form 1040X (Form to amend return).

After your 1040NR is complete, print your 1040NR with Sprintax; do not e-file it..  You must mail the 1040NR along with the amended return Form 1040X  

Per IRS Form 1040X instructions,  page 8:  

To amend and file the correct return, do the following:     

• Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.   

• Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.   

• Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.    

• Complete a new or corrected return, Form 1040NR,   

• Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.”    

• Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.   

**Make sure you check the box to show the tax year that you are amending on Form 1040X.   Make sure you sign your 1040X and 1040NR. 

Sprintax   Form 1040X       1040X Instructions  

nauhoque
Returning Member

Do I have to follow these steps twice if I need to amend both federal and state tax returns filing 2018 (because last year I used TurboTax for both)? 

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You need to amend your 2018 federal return using the above information.

You will need to prepare a 2018 nonresident state return with Sprintax.  They may be able to assist you with your 2018 amended state return.

If not, you will need to go the state website and search for the state amended return. You can use the steps for the federal amended return to help you complete the state amended return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies