Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Who claims the 1099-Q and 1098-T?

I paid my tuition this year that is listed on the 1098-T. I also received a Coverdell ESA distribution (1099-Q), to which I was the recipient. My education expenses did not exceed the distribution, meaning the difference would be taxable, correct?. However, my parents claim me as a dependent on their tax return. Would they report the 1099-Q and 1098-T, or would those go on my return?

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Who claims the 1099-Q and 1098-T?

Your parents can claim you as a dependent on their return, and you can claim the education expenses/distributions on your return.

Here's detailed info on that to help you:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies