Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chantiee

What is the filers federal id on 1098 t

There is no filers federal ID on my 1098-T
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax asks you to enter the information from your 1098-T.  If a field is blank then you have nothing to enter.  If the school does not provide its "Filer's federal identification no.", then leave the space blank.  The field is not required by TurboTax.  

You may want to contact the school that issued you the 1098-T; their phone number should be listed on the form.  See attachment below.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
beierja

What if I never received a 1098 t
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Answer NO to the question "Did you receive a 1098-T''.  You can still enter expenses without that form.
maglib
Level 11

2 difft op's got some confusion on response.  On the 1098T, under the name and address of the school should be a box with the schools federal id number.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax asks you to enter the information from your 1098-T.  If a field is blank then you have nothing to enter.  If the school does not provide its "Filer's federal identification no.", then leave the space blank.  The field is not required by TurboTax.  

You may want to contact the school that issued you the 1098-T; their phone number should be listed on the form.  See attachment below.

tldoan530

Can you still e-file without it that number?
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Yes, but you won't be able to claim the American Opportunity Credit with out it.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

The Federal ID is under the address, see image in the above answer.  You can e-file without the Federal ID number on the 1098-T, however, you will not be eligible for the American Opportunity Credit (most valuable) without it.  You will only be able to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit. 

Note** Although the Tuition and Fees Deduction was extended through Dec 31, 2017, TurboTax has not been updated to take the deduction.  We are waiting on finalization from the IRS. 

[Edited 02/20/18 2:18 pm PST]

Yes, thank you, it is at the top left of each 1098-T page. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies