Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I reported my stipend in the education section of turbo tax? I cannot find it to edit it but the amount shows up in the federal review as taxable income.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

What if I reported my stipend in the education section of turbo tax? I cannot find it to edit it but the amount shows up in the federal review as taxable income.

You may not need to edit it. If you entered it in the education section, it's important to note that any amount awarded in excess of qualified education expenses will be considered taxable income. 

• For example, a student awarded a $4,000 scholarship who had $3,000 in qualified education expenses would have $1,000 added to the "Wages, salaries, tips" line of their tax return. 

In addition, you can't claim education credits or deduct expenses that were paid with these tax-free funds.

Here's more info:

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

You may not need to edit it. If you entered it in the education section, it's important to note that any amount awarded in excess of qualified education expenses will be considered taxable income. 

• For example, a student awarded a $4,000 scholarship who had $3,000 in qualified education expenses would have $1,000 added to the "Wages, salaries, tips" line of their tax return. 

In addition, you can't claim education credits or deduct expenses that were paid with these tax-free funds.

Here's more info:

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if I want to edit where I put my stipend to move it to less common income misc.?

How do I find the stipend in the education section of turbo tax?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click delete next to the student's name.  

That should  delete all the pervious entries about the stipend. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies