turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taduncan

TurboTax will not let me enter info in Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) to get the American Opportunity Tax Credit. I meet qualifications. Ideas?

I entered a 1099-Q Form for Qualified Education Programs. Now, program says I don't qualify for the American Opportunity Tax Credit and won't let me enter any education expenses which are more than the 529 plan I cashed and paid for daughter's education.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
taduncan

TurboTax will not let me enter info in Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) to get the American Opportunity Tax Credit. I meet qualifications. Ideas?

Figured it out through others' posts. 

Answer: Delete the 1099-Q as the money was used for qualified education expenses, go edit my dependent's college info and from there I could enter the expenses. Ultimately, led to the American Opportunity Tax Credit. If you ever go out of sequence, it will not be intuitive where to go next. 😕

View solution in original post

1 Reply
taduncan

Figured it out through others' posts. 

Answer: Delete the 1099-Q as the money was used for qualified education expenses, go edit my dependent's college info and from there I could enter the expenses. Ultimately, led to the American Opportunity Tax Credit. If you ever go out of sequence, it will not be intuitive where to go next. 😕

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies