taduncan

TurboTax will not let me enter info in Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) to get the American Opportunity Tax Credit. I meet qualifications. Ideas?

I entered a 1099-Q Form for Qualified Education Programs. Now, program says I don't qualify for the American Opportunity Tax Credit and won't let me enter any education expenses which are more than the 529 plan I cashed and paid for daughter's education.

taduncan

Figured it out through others' posts. 

Answer: Delete the 1099-Q as the money was used for qualified education expenses, go edit my dependent's college info and from there I could enter the expenses. Ultimately, led to the American Opportunity Tax Credit. If you ever go out of sequence, it will not be intuitive where to go next. 😕

taduncan

Figured it out through others' posts.