Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Turbo tax won't let me enter in my tuition and enrollment fees.

YAY!  This finally worked. Turbotax has a major bug on tuition

adolist

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Turbo tax won't let me enter in my tuition and enrollment fees.

To reiterate this is what worked for me however I simply pressed "Edit" instead of "Add Student" & the screen for editing tuition appeared. Click "Edit" on any school attended, Then "Yes" on receiving 1098-T which will take you to the 1098-T form for that school & enter the 1098-T form received. From then on the screen the user is talking about with "Tuition & Enrollment Fees" as $0 should update to what was previously entered.

- Regards

It finally worked for me as well. It's not intuitive at all that you have to go all the way to the end of the process, and then click "edit" next to your name as the student it shows. Once you click "edit," at the very last stage of this process, you can put in the 1098-T information. The fact that it says "tuition information entered previously" at the very beginning of this process when it asks for additional education expenses is very misleading.

Lynne2

I have done everything you say to do and it still won't let me enter tuition and fees.  There is a $0 grayed out but it won't let me enter an amount.  I have never had this problem in the 4 years I've been using Turbo Tax!

Lynne2

This is exactly whats happening to me.  I am beyond frustrated.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

What version of the TurboTax software are you using? Note that you cannot get the education deduction credit with the Free Basic version.The Deluxe version and up allows you to take the education credit. Please make sure you are using the correct version.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Amccarth

The search box doesn't even work, it just takes me to a page with a telephone number

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Here's how to edit the 1098-T in TurboTax:

• From Deductions & Credits
  • Expenses and Scholarships (form 1098-T) hit Update
  • From the page that says Now Let's Gather The Additional Education Expenses
  • Hit Continue. You will need to continue through several screens until you get to the screen that says Your Education Expenses Summary click Edit

At Here's Your Education Summary you can Edit, Delete or Add New School

pinckschu

I'm having the same problem. None of these suggestions remedy the...glitch? I can't get to the spot that let's me enter my tuition and fees...which says $0 as if I have entered that amount.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If the above solution didn't work (going all the way to the very end of the section), Education Summary, to edit Form 1098-T), try this next:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the menu on the left of the screen.
  2. Click on Tools.
  3. Scroll down the list of forms and click delete beside Form 1098-T.
  4. Confirm on the next screen by clicking Delete Form.
  5. Scroll down the list of forms again and click Delete beside Education Tuition and Fees Summary.
  6. Again, confirm on the next screen by clicking Delete Form.

This should clear the section out entirely and let you start fresh.

@pinckschu

pinckschu

Yay! that worked. Thanks!!!

sodone
Returning Member

thank you...I wasted hours today trying to get thru this. The glitch really should be fixed, inexcusable that turbo tax is so bad this year.

I'm having the same issue and none of these instructions have solved the problem. The issue is also that my name does not come up under the tab where you're supposed to be able to edit / add student. Therefore there is no possible way to actually edit the education information and therefore upload any information about the 1098t.  This is incredibly ridiculous to be honest.

zac_green

Same issue. Youre not alone.

can't enter anything

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies