Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Tuition and divorce parents

I file my taxes as head of household and I am divorce.  I pay 70% of college tuition but do not claim my son as a dependent.  He lives with me 100% of the time.  Can i claim the tuition on my tax returns or his father.

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

Tuition and divorce parents

Only the Taxpayer that claims the student's exemption can report the 1098-T and apply for an education credit. If your husband is claiming your son's exemption, he would claim the tuition. 

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Education Credits

CLICK HERE for TurboTax information on Education Credits

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings