Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to file, its saying i needed to upgrade(free version doesn't support student loan interest)I currently do not have any student loan interest. I paid $314 last year

Does this mean they are saying I still owe on my interest even though it has been taken away or is this because I have already paid my interest? I just would like to know how to fix this to where I wont have to buy the upgrade
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Trying to file, its saying i needed to upgrade(free version doesn't support student loan interest)I currently do not have any student loan interest. I paid $314 last year

If you paid any student loan interest in 2020,  you can take a deduction on your 2020 return. Then you will need to upgrade from the free edition.  You should be receiving a Form 1098-E Student Loan Interest Statement as well.

If you did not pay any student loan interest in 2020, you do not get to deduct.  

In your situation, did you pay the $314 in 2020?  If you did,  you can deduct and need to purchase the upgrade to claim it. If you did not pay, in order to stay in the Free edition, you can simply remove the Form 1098-E or student loan interest worksheet related from the program.  It is possible that the student loan information was carried over from 2019 TurboTax program.

To remove the form, here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • Select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to the form 1098-E or student loan interest related worksheet and Continue with My Return
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

TurboTax also has another free product called the Free File Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation and free State preparation. There is no efiling fee. It is not available after October 15

The Free file Edition can handle a 1099-MISC.

The Free file Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Free File Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot. 

To qualify for free 2020 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you just need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2020 household AGI is $39,000 or less;
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • In 2020, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $72,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.

The FREE FILE Edition is located at:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

How to switch and start over in Free file Edition
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies