This is my first year of college after five years ...

This is my first year of college after five years of absence. Does it still count as my “first” year? I did not earn a degree beforehand

No, you should count any years you attended College previously.  

Edited 1/27/2020 6:00 pm

If this is not the first time you have attended college in your entire life, then this is not your first year of college. Period.

So if you were a sophomore in the 2000-2001 year and stopped, then you enrolled for the 2019-2020 acedemic year, then 2019 is your 2nd year of college.

Weather you claimed the AOTC or any other education credits back in the 2000-2001 academic year is irrelevant. Your 2nd academic year of college is still your 2nd academic year of college. Even if you failed your first academic year back in 2000-2001, the 2019-2020 academic year is still your 2nd year of college.