Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a private tutoring business (LLC). Where should I enter the expenses that I paid for a Continuing Education course? What Section?

The sections that I have so far are:
- Supplies
- Meals and entertainment
- Legal and professional fees
- Business travel
- Office expenses
- Taxes and licenses
Not sure into which of them would these expenses fit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

I have a private tutoring business (LLC). Where should I enter the expenses that I paid for a Continuing Education course? What Section?

To be deductible for a self-employed business owner (including LLC's), continuing education expenses must be to:

• "Maintains or improves skills required in your present work," or
  • It is required by law or regulations for maintaining a license to practice, status, or job. For example, professionals can deduct costs for continuing education.

If you are using TurboTax Self-Employed version,  then you can deduct under Other Miscellaneous expenses and enter a description for the expense.

If you are using TuboTaxBusiness desktop software, then deduct in the section All other Expenses along with the description.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

To be deductible for a self-employed business owner (including LLC's), continuing education expenses must be to:

• "Maintains or improves skills required in your present work," or
  • It is required by law or regulations for maintaining a license to practice, status, or job. For example, professionals can deduct costs for continuing education.

If you are using TurboTax Self-Employed version,  then you can deduct under Other Miscellaneous expenses and enter a description for the expense.

If you are using TuboTaxBusiness desktop software, then deduct in the section All other Expenses along with the description.

Thanks for your reply. This course that I took was an "Entrepeneur" course, specifically about "How to Write a Business Plan," I was in the process of writing a new business plan for my private tutoring LLC. Does this course qualify as "maintaining or improving my skills" as an Entrepreneur and therefore are these expenses deductible?
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

That's kinda tricky. If you took it after your business was established, I would say you are maintaining skills. If you took it before your business began, I would think not deductible. Here is were you cannot deduct education expenses:

-The education is needed to meet the minimum educational requirements of your present trade or business. For example, you can't deduct the cost of obtaining a license to practice if you don't already hold such a license, or

-The education is part of a program of study that will qualify you for a new trade or business.

I took this course two years after my business was established, so based in what you have said I think these expenses are deductible. It was not a "requirement" but I felt that I needed to have a business plan that I had not had for 2 years and I took the course in order to learn that skill and improve my business.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yay! You can deduct it 🙂

Thanks Paula!
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You are welcome 🙂
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies