Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a letter from IRS stating they didn't receive info from educational institution in 1098-T to verify credit claimed. The school provided it. What do I need to do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Received a letter from IRS stating they didn't receive info from educational institution in 1098-T to verify credit claimed. The school provided it. What do I need to do?

What does the IRS letter say you should do? Read the entire letter carefully.

If you purchased Audit Defense for the year that the IRS letter is about, call TaxAudit at 877-829-9695, or report your IRS letter on the TaxAudit.com web site. Do not contact the IRS until you have spoken to TaxAudit. They might contact the IRS on your behalf.

If you did not purchase Audit Defense, you can get help with your IRS letter from the TurboTax Audit Support Center.

Below is what is provided in the letter prior to the comment in the previous message. 

We can't process your claim for the tax periods listed above b/c your supporting information was not complete. If you have more information you didn't send with this claim, you can file another claim that includes all of your information.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I can't see the IRS letter or your tax return, but based on what you have said I would suggest that you send them a copy of the 1098-T, a copy of the student account statement, and proof of any payments that you made, such as copies of canceled checks. Follow the instructions in the letter for how to respond, and be sure to respond by the deadline in the letter.

I would also suggest calling the TurboTax Audit Support Center before you respond to the letter. They might have more helpful information.

Send your response to the IRS by certified mail with a return receipt, so that you get tracking and confirmation that they received it. Send only photocopies of any documents, not the original documents.

Will do and thank you!!

Hal_Al
Level 15

Be aware that a (somewhat) new requirement for the American Opportunity Credit (AOC) is that you provide the school's Employer Identification Number (EIN).  The TurboTax interview will ask for this, if you did not enter it at the 1098-T screen. 

Foreign schools do not have a U.S.  EIN, so they are, effectively, no longer eligible for the AOC. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies