Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I not qualify for education deductions/credits?

Enrolled full-time in doctoral degree program, 30 yrs old, independent, single, $0 income
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you have no income, why are you filing a tax return?

If you have no income, you would not have any tax liability., i.e. you do not have to pay any tax for the year. With no tax liability, you cannot claim any education deduction or credit for graduate school. The only education credit that can be claimed if you have no tax liability is the American Opportunity Credit, but that's only for the first four years of college.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you have no income, why are you filing a tax return?

If you have no income, you would not have any tax liability., i.e. you do not have to pay any tax for the year. With no tax liability, you cannot claim any education deduction or credit for graduate school. The only education credit that can be claimed if you have no tax liability is the American Opportunity Credit, but that's only for the first four years of college.

Thank you!!  I filed because I thought I am required to regardless of income.  But that makes sense.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The only thing that would require you to file with no income is if you got Advance Premium Tax Credit for health insurance from the Marketplace (Obamacare).

You can use the calculator at the following link on the IRS web site to see if you have to file a tax return.

Do I Need to File a Tax Return?

There's one reason that you might want to file a 2020 tax return even if you are not required to file. If you did not receive the first two stimulus payments, you would be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return, even with no income. That would pay you the amount of either or both of the first two stimulus payments if you did not receive them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies