turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a dependent who is in college. My parents pay for my tuition and all expenses. Do I enter my 1098 tuition form on my tax return, or do they use it for their return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I'm a dependent who is in college. My parents pay for my tuition and all expenses. Do I enter my 1098 tuition form on my tax return, or do they use it for their return?

They use the form for education credit on their return.  If you have scholarships in an amount greater than qualified education expenses the difference is income on your return assuming that you have to file one. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If it generates a credit, your parents use it to claim a credit. 

If it generates taxable income, you need to claim the income. 

Your parents can enter the 1098-T into their TurboTax program and the program will report which way it should be reported. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

There's even a loop hole available for the parents to claim the credit, if the student is on scholarship.

For details, see: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/college-education/discussion/yes-that-is-a-tax-loophole-available-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies