Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed single and 23 years old, but a college student will I receive the stimulus check ? No one claimed me on there taxes.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I filed single and 23 years old, but a college student will I receive the stimulus check ? No one claimed me on there taxes.

As long as you were not claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return, you will qualify for the stimulus check.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@MaryK4 @golfchick2015 - it's a little more technical than that. 

While i appreciate you state you were not claimed as a dependent by anyone else, the question is CAN you be claimed by anyone else?  Since you are a full time student and 23 years old, that would suggest your parents CAN claim you (there are other issues like 'support' that are not detailed in your comments that could affect that final answer).

If you parents decided not to claim you, but they otherwise could have, you are not eligible for the stimulus payments. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Underneath the name and addressee boxes, at the top of the form 1040, is an area called Standard deduction. In that ares is a check box "Someone can claim [] you as a dependent".  If that box is checked, you won't get a stimulus check. 

If the box is not checked, but your parents claimed you anyway, you won't get the check.

If you don't get a check in 2020, you may still get one in 2021. 

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of your 2020 income tax refund. This means when you prepare your 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on your 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".

So I don’t have a check in the box where someone can claim me. I know my mom does not. And my dad doesn’t file taxes because of disability. Im out of work and have bills to pay, needed to make sure I will  have income somewhere since I can’t get unemployment do to college. . I have no where in my taxes that my parents support me nor does my mom put that in her taxes. I mean they can’t leave someone out who has been paying there own bills and filing taxes as single and I don’t have a check in the box where it says I can be claimed.

So I don’t have a check in the box where someone can claim me. I know my mom does not. And my dad doesn’t file taxes because of disability. Im out of work and have bills to pay, needed to make sure I have will income somewhere since I can’t get unemployment do to college. I have no where in my taxes that my parents support me nor does my mom put that in her taxes. I mean they can’t leave someone out who has been paying there own bills and filing taxes as single and I don’t have a check in the box where it says I can be claimed.

@golfchick2015 - then sounds like you are 'good to go' to receive the stimulus check! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies