Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a high school student and my parents claim me. I made just over $4000 in 2020. Do I have to pay school district tax as well as my parents?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I am a high school student and my parents claim me. I made just over $4000 in 2020. Do I have to pay school district tax as well as my parents?

You probably don't need to file a return at all. You can use TurboTax free to be sure. 

If your only income is 4,000 earned (no unearned income such as interest or dividends) you won't need to file. 

If you were required to file a State Tax return you may be required to pay school tax, but that depends on the state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, probably.  

"Any individual or estate that receives income while a resident of a taxing school district is subject to school district income tax."

There is no age or income exception,.  Since there is also no exemption deduction for dependents, you will even owe a little tax

Reference: https://tax.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/tax/individual/school-district-income-tax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies