turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do i update my tuition and enrollment fees. It is showing $0 and when I click on revisit it does not give me the option to add my 1098t information.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do i update my tuition and enrollment fees. It is showing $0 and when I click on revisit it does not give me the option to add my 1098t information.

This is how to review or add your 1098-T form:

1. Search for "1098-T" using the search box located in the upper right corner .
    2. Click on Go to 1098-T.
    3. Answer Yes to the next two questions.
    4. The next page should show you what you have entered or give you a blank form to fill in.

Be sure to answer all of the follow up questions in this section to maximize your education tax break.

Please note that if you checked the box indicating you are someone else's dependent, you can't claim the education credits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cw44

I'm having the same issue and this answer does not help. When I go through the answer as @JulieS has outlined, I still get routed to a page that says "Now let's gather your additional education expenses." I'm unable to revisit the 1098-T form to enter in new information.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Start by going to the Education section of your return using these steps:  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Then, if you are not prompted to enter your 1098-T, go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

Unfortunately this in fact does not solve the issue.  Whether you search for the 1098-T form or for education, jumping to the relevant section simply takes you directly to "additional expenses" (such as books, etc.) instead of the initial 1098-T tuition-related information.  It seems impossible to delete that info if it was entered incorrectly or needs to be modified due to this bug/glitch that your response does not solve.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please go through this section and the interview. The 1098-T should come back around after you finish. 

No, this is not how it is supposed to work, but we have reports that this is happening. 

I struggled with this in the "Take me through everything" option to fill out my husband's education expenses.  His Tuition kept coming up "$0".  I ended up going to the top right corning and pulling up the 1098T form itself.  I went through the form and sure enough the Tuition box on the right side was blank.  I filled it out, went back to the "Guide me through everything" option and the tuition that I entered in the form popped into where it was supposed to be.

Note to the IT folks, you need to fix this for us, please.  The tuition question can't be answered in the "Guide me through the forms" for 1098T.

Thanks!

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

You would enter the 1098-T information under the Federal section of the TurboTax program.

1. Select "Deductions & Credits"
  2. Select "Expenses & Scholarships (1098-T)"
  3. Click start
  4. Follow the screen to enter the applicable information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies