holbrook-er

Can I still claim a deduction on my 2019 taxes if I wrote a check for a scholarship donation in December 2019, but the school didn't cash the check until January 2020?

Vanessa3

Yes, you will deduct it on your 2019 tax return.  Your donation is counted as being made when you wrote and sent the check, not when they cashed it. 

Carl

Basically, if the check was dated 2019 and you handed over the check or mailed it on or before Dec 31, you effectively "lost control" of that money in that instant. So it can be claimed as a 2019 expense regardless of when the check was cashed.