Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

529 withdrawal to match scholarships and now have to pay as unearned income

My son received $24K in scholarships. 1098-T shows tuition of $17401.00.   Total expenses were $23977.16 ($6577.00 was room and board).  I know the room and board amount is taxable.  I withdrew $23444.58 from the 529 (allowed to withdraw up to scholarships amounts without penalty).   

His work income was $3429.00 and on the 1040 it is also showing additional entry of SCH at $7099.00 making the total wages $10528.00.  Then he has interest and dividends of $563.00.   

Form 1040 is showing additional income from schedule 1, line19 of $10529.00 (from the 529).   Then TurboTax is asking for our income on form 8615,  line 6 (my son is filing his own return, but is a dependent on ours).  When that amount is entered his taxable amounts are being billed at our tax rate.  Since this is all from his scholarships and 529 (he was the beneficiary) is there anyway around that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Is there anyway around that?

A. Yes. Make more of the scholarship taxable* (and less of the 529 earnings). Your numbers don't allow a total way around it, but it can be reduced.

Scholarship income is considered earned income for purposes of the "kiddie tax" and a dependent's standard deduction. Taxable 529 earnings are unearned income.  You're allowed to allocate your expenses to the 3 categories (the tax credit, the scholarship*, the 529 distribution).

You do not mention that your are claiming a tuition credit.  You are allowed to do that (unless your income is too high) by making more of the scholarship and/or 529 distribution taxable on his return.  The Tuition credit is much more generous (100% of the first $2000 and 25% of the 2nd $2000; $4000 max).  

*Unless the conditions of the grant are that it be used to pay for qualified expenses.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General discussion

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (usually on the student’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $600

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free

60%x600= $360

You have $240 of taxable income (600-360)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit.

Thank you for the reply.   Sorry for the delay in replying (no power for days).

Last year we were not able to claim the tuition credit.    His scholarships did not have any stipulations on how it was to be spent. 

Below example shows room and board in with education expenses.  Turbo Tax has a different line for entry and that is the amount being taxed and showing as income when it is covered by the scholarships. 

Can I change how I enter Room and Board in TT that so it is covered under the scholarships?  

Thank you

Hal_Al
Level 15

I assume you are not eligible for a tuition credit this year, either.

You don't say what amount is in box 2 of the 1099-Q. That's the maximum that could be taxed.

What is the parent's marginal tax rate?  Only a portion of the box 2 amount will be taxed (see example above). Whereas all of the scholarship, above $8621 (12,400- 350 -3429)* will be taxed (at the student's rate).

Q. Can I change how I enter Room and Board in TT that so it is covered under the scholarships?  

A.  Yes.  The fact that TT has assigned $7099 as taxable scholarship, means it has already included the $6577 actual  R&B that you entered. But you can make that number bigger. You will reach a screen titled "Did [student's name] pay for room or board with a scholarship or grant". Answer yes. In the drop box, you may enter any amount up to $24,000 (you are not restricted to the  $6577 of actual room and board).  TT will treat that amount as taxable. You have to figure out the most advantageous number (it's at least $8621, the amount needed to get his standard deduction to the maximum $12,400).

*A dependents standard deduction is his earned income + $350, but not more than $12,400. 

Box 2 of 1099-Q is $14633.59.  I believe our tax rate is 24% (if I read the chart correctly).  

I did find the question about paying Room and Board with scholarships.  I entered the amount we paid and it didn't change anything as you stated TT had already calculated that amount.   I cannot make up an amount  and enter that for Room and Board in case I got audited, correct?  

I don't mind paying the taxable amount on the 529 withdrawn to match the scholarships, but I don't like that it is at our tax rate and not his as he is filing his own return.  That doesn't seem right and what I can't understand.

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies