turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JeremyHarp
Returning Member

1099-Q Private School 529

I used 529 money to pay for my kids at a private High School.  The payments went directly to the school so the recipient is listed as the child.  TruboTax says I don't need to enter this because it should go on the recipients return, but then says if I want I can enter it if I enter the education expense first.  Then it goes to questions about higher education expenses.  Am I missing something?  How do I enter for high school expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

It's complicated.

If the 529 money was all used for tuition and was no more than $10,000 just don't enter it anywhere. 

When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records. 

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

Where TT says you can enter the education expense first, it's basically a glitch. 

JeremyHarp
Returning Member

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies