Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098-t

If i paid tuition in Dec 2023, but enrolled in Jan 2024, what should Box 8 on my 1098-T show since I had no hours as of 12/31/23?  Box 7 is checked, but box 8 is not.  Am i still eligible for the AOTC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

1098-t

Q. Am i still eligible for the AOTC?

A. Yes*. 

When TT sees that box 8 is not checked, it will ask you if you were half time or more. Answer yes, since that was your status for the enrollment period (the first term of 2024).

*The yes answer assumes you are otherwise qualified, including not being someone else's dependent.

1098-t

Thanks, Hal AI.  Is my 1098-T box 8 required to be checked by the issuing institution also?

Hal_Al
Level 15

1098-t

Q. Is my 1098-T box 8 required to be checked by the issuing institution also?

A. No. Because you were not half time+ in 2023.  It's a glitch in the system, that's why TT has the follow up question. Because the 2024 half time+ course work was actually paid for in 2023, you are allowed to claim the AOTC (and check the "at lease half time" box on form 8863). 

The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are  eligible for a tuition credit

If you claim the tuition credit, you do need to report that you got one, but you claim the tuition credit,  based on your own financial records, not the 1098-T. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies