Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

PhD Stipend, books/supplies

I want to make sure that I can deduct all books, supplies she uses for her PHD right off the top of her stipend (these are not 'compulsory books' but books and travel for research 

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

PhD Stipend, books/supplies

Yes, any stipend income that is not used for Education Expenses is taxable income, whether reported on a W-2 or 1099-Misc or not either one. 


Enter her W-2 in the appropriate section.  Enter her Education Expenses.  Books that are not required are not deductible, however. 


If she received a 1099-Misc for her stipend,  enter it as shown.  Assume that the university correctly subtracted what is considered wages from what is considered stipend. 


Whatever amount is not used for Education Expenses will be taxed as 'Other Income'.


Click this link for more info on How to Enter Stipend Income. 


Click this link for more info on Qualified Education Expenses .

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

PhD Stipend, books/supplies

Travel is not a qualified educational expense, for a tuition credit or deduction or for reducing the taxable part of a scholarship or stipend

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings