Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KRose

My full-time student son (who has a scholarship for all tuition) worked part-time and made $14,000. Do I claim him as my dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherekaB

My full-time student son (who has a scholarship for all tuition) worked part-time and made $14,000. Do I claim him as my dependent?

To claim him as a dependent income does not matter if you can answer YES to these questions.

• Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply.
  • Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents. Here you must use the “tie breaker rules,” which are found in IRS Publication 501. These rules establish income, parentage and residency requirements for claiming a child.

If he made more than $6,300 then he must file a return. Be sure on his return he selects someone else can claim him as a dependent.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SherekaB

To claim him as a dependent income does not matter if you can answer YES to these questions.

• Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply.
  • Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents. Here you must use the “tie breaker rules,” which are found in IRS Publication 501. These rules establish income, parentage and residency requirements for claiming a child.

If he made more than $6,300 then he must file a return. Be sure on his return he selects someone else can claim him as a dependent.

KRose

My son pays his own rent and food.  However, I provide a car, auto insurance, health insurance and cell phone service - which probably is equal in value to what he pays for rent and food each month.  Is this good enough justification?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies