naudia310

My ex owes student loans and child support. Who will receive the money child support or the student loan?

My child father owes student loans and child support, who will receive the money child support or student loans?

Good question ... not sure who has the superior right to the refund ... they may prorate it ... but either way that is a question for the IRS.  When they get the letter from the IRS stating the refund was grabbed for an offset it should say where the money went. 

If the parent owes certain other government debts, such as federal student loans or federal income tax, the parent’s tax refund will go to pay those debts before back child support is paid.  Additionally, the tax intercept program doesn’t help much when a parent doesn’t file his or her taxes, or isn’t entitled to a tax refund, which can happen for various reasons. 

https://resources.lawinfo.com/child-support/intercepting-tax-refunds-when-a-parent-fails.html