jganders2

Lifetime learning tax credit

Where or can I apply this discount? I have not been enrolled in a school since 2013, but I graduated with a Masters degree.
LinaJ2018

Lifetime learning tax credit

If you have not e-filed, to enter education expenses in TurboTax Deluxe online edition, please follow the steps:

1. After sign into your account, select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in "1098t" and Enter 

3.  Select the 1st choice on the search results - Jump to form 1098T 

4.  On screen, "Do you want to enter your higher education expenses?" answer Yes

5.  Follow prompts to enter your information

The program will analyze your data and display the education benefit which will maximize your refund.  

If you have already e-filed, wait until your return is accepted or rejected by IRS / the state.

-If your return is rejected, add your new information (along with anything else that needs to be corrected)                              and then re-submit your return.  See  Fix a reject

-If your return has been accepted- you cannot change the information. Instead, you have to amend a                                       return.   See instructions below.

IRS does not allow e-file for amendment,  you will need to submit the amendment forms with related supporting documents by mail. (Follow instructions through the step-by-step interview questions in the program)

If your original return generates a refund, you should wait until your original refund arrives before you file your amendment. You can cash your check, but you still should wait until your current tax return is resolved.  Note that if you see " Do Not File" watermark on your Form, this means your original return is either still pending or forms are not finalized yet.