Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbeto

Is there a way to decline the $2000+ education credit. I already received this credit for 4 years so I know I don’t qualify. Should I be worried that it’s telling me that’s part of my t

Should I be worried that I qualify for the education credit even though I know I don’t?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Is there a way to decline the $2000+ education credit. I already received this credit for 4 years so I know I don’t qualify. Should I be worried that it’s telling me that’s part of my t

One of the first questions to answer for the American Opportunity Credit is whether or not you have received the credit in 4 previous tax years. When you answer the question correctly, it will be disallowed. Was it previously claimed in 4 different tax years?

You might qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Which credit does it say you are receiving?

sbeto

But I wasn’t asked that question. I used the TurboTax education optimization engine and it has qualified me for both the lifetime learning credit and the education credit. 

I'm not familiar with that tool. TurboTax would have to ask that question somehow in order to determine who is qualified to receive the AOC. All I can suggest is that you delete the information you entered and start over. 

You can seek help from TurboTax support but they may not be working today:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Make sure you went all the way back through the questions for your Form 1098-T from the "start".  If while in the education interview you can't get to the 1098-T screen, keep clicking to Continue until you reach the summary screen at the end of the education questions and you can edit the 1098-T entry from there.  That will get you back to the "start" of the 1098-T entry, so that you get the question about how many years you have taken the AOTC.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sbeto

Within the deductions and credits section, there was an option to “Maximize my education tax break” button and that’s what I used which self generated the qualifications. Does that feature ring a bell at all? 

Thanks for your help.

sbeto

Thank you!

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

@sbeto

As long as you indicate that you have received the American Opportunity Credit in 4 previous tax years, it will be disallowed. Start over in the education section and make sure that you have answered correctly. You may still qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit or the Tuition and Fees Deduction.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies