Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmm56

irs rule on 5 month for full time student status

Can I claim my child as a full time student ?  My 21 year old college student attended Spring 2023 classes with  12 credit hours as required by his college.,  The courses for Spring were from Jan to April 2023 with only graduation being scheduled in May.  He did not attend a graduation ceremony because he was still in school for summer and fall of 2023.  He only had 7 credit hours for summer and 11 credit hours in Fall before he finished and got his Associates degree.  If the spring classes were for four months and he attended them does he still cout it as full time for 5 months for the IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

IRS rules for "student" is different relating to education credits versus claiming as a dependent. 

If the student was attending class for any part of any five months, they fulfill that requirement to be claimed as a dependent. 

The student does not need to take a certain number of class credits. 

Therefore, if the student attended class through April, and also took summer classes (after April in the same year), they would have been in school for at least part of at least five months. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rmm56

According to your answer ,  my 21 year old is considered a full time student for five months rule when he was only full time in spring for four months and he was part time  for summer and fall?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

As long as he was considered a FT student for at least one day in Jan, Feb, March, April and May, yes, he would be considered a Full time student. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

How long was the summer session? 7 credit hours may be fulltime, depending on the length of term.  Otherwise, what you describe does not meet the 5 month rule. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies