Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

international school w/o 1098T, maybe non-qualified

My child attends an international university.  The university has a Fafsa ID number, however, it didn't work when filling out the fafsa.  I called the school financial aid office and they told me that they are non-participating in the U.S. federal student aid program, however, they have a fafsa ID number which allows continued deferment of loans while you're in school.  We have no loans.   I assume reading the requirements that this means the school is non-qualified for any federal tax credits or deductions (although it is a 4 year accredited degree program).

So my questions are:

Since there is no 1098T and the school appears to be non-qualifying, we can not take any credits for tuition.  What about books, fees, and supplies not typically reported on a 1098-T?

Can we use my daughter's ESA for tuition payments?

Can we use my daughters 529 for tuition, room and board?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

international school w/o 1098T, maybe non-qualified

If your school is not a qualifying entity under the Student Aid program, you cannot take any education credits including those for books/fees and supplies.   Per IRS, to qualify for an education credit, the school must be an educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S Department of Education whether they have a FAFSA id or not.  To verify, I am attaching the following link which includes a list of the qualifying schools. If your school is not on the list, you cannot claim the benefit.   Under Federal School Code List, select  2019-2020 Federal School Code List in Excel Format


For claiming an education credit, the set of qualified educational expenses is different than those under the 529 or ESA plans.  If your school is not a qualifying school ( based on the above blue link), you cannot claim any of the expenses even though they are qualified expenses under the 529 or ESA plans. 




**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 2

international school w/o 1098T, maybe non-qualified

Thanks for the confirmation.  

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies