Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SBM19

Independent grad student with no income

I am a 26 year old grad student who lives entirely on student loans for living expenses. You aren't allowed to work in this program so room and board is built into the loan amount. Previously I always filed taxes because I worked up until starting this program, and last year was the first time I filed taxes with no income.

My question is, since I have no income do I need to file taxes this year? From what I could tell I shouldn't have to because of the income, but because of some other details I am not sure. I receive Virginia medicaid for my health insurance, and I don't know if next year that will be impacted if I don't file taxes. I also have some stocks/bonds, etc in a robo investor from back when I was employed. It is about $2000 and I haven't taken any money from that account but I do have those as investments and I'm sure that things have been bought/sold through their algorithm last year. Other than that I have a little interest from high-yield savings account, especially from when the bulk of my refund comes in.

So that is my financial situation overall. Last year I did file taxes, but with no income I wound up paying just to file the form that includes investments and such. As a student with a tight upcoming expenses I'd rather not have to pay to file if I don't need to. Since I'm not making any income, I think without those other things I would definitely not have to file if I understand correctly. I am just not sure whether these impact it or not, so any help would be greatly appreciated

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you do not have any taxable income to report on a tax return, there is no need or reason to file a return.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Since you are "independent" (can't be claimed as a dependent by someone else), you do not have to file a tax return, if you have under $13,850 of reportable income, unless you have more than $400 of self employment income. 

For those who can be claimed as a dependent, the filing threshold is as little as $1250 on investment income. 

@SBM19 said " I'm sure that things have been bought/sold through their algorithm last year"

You should receive a form 1099-B for that activity. If your total gains for the year are less than $13,850, you do not need to file (unlikely with only $2000 invested).   But, one risk with robo investing is that enough activity is generated to waive a red flag at the IRS. Again, unlikely with only $2000 invested and easily explained if you do receive an IRS notice (unlikely). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies