If year long tution is around 30,000 can I still g...

rlawndus93

If year long tution is around 30,000 can I still get tuition refund or education expnse?

I got my 1098 T form from grad school (full-time student, still in school), however after I filled out all the information that was checked on my form, it came out to be zero. Last year for 2018, I got my $1000, which the amount was around 12900. This time when I got my form the box 1 was around 30,000 which I am guessing combining 3 semesters of the tuition fee. Why can I not get the $1000 refund of the expense...? 

NCperson

what is in Box 1?

what is in Box 5?

the credit is a function of the net of these two items.  Let's start with that. 

did you have a job last year and not this year? 

also, go back and look closely at how you answered each and every question.  

rlawndus93

For Box 1: Payments received for qualified
tuition and related expenses: 38,826.00

For Box 5: nothing there because I did not get any scholarship 

I did work part-time, last year and also did this year, just waiting to get my W-2 form so I skipped that part

I did answer all of the question correctly. 

NCperson

I wouldn't panic until you enter the W-2.  The credit is against other taxes owed, but if you have no income (which temporarily you don't since the W-2 isn't there yet), there would be no tax credit. 

As box 1 exceeds box 5, on the surface you would be eligible for the credit.

I also assume you are NOT a dependent of someone else (i.e. parents) 

rlawndus93

So after  I Put my W-2 form in when I get it, there is a great chance that I would get 1000 as well? 

NCperson

without knowing you income earned and doing the tax return,  i wouldn't know.   But I do know that if there is no income, there is no income tax so there is no credit.   

Did you do your taxes via TT last year?  are you a dependent of anyone else (i.e. your parents?)