turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my tuition was completely covered by FAFSA grant and a GI Bill, do I need to wait for a 1098T form to file my taxes?

I read on the IRS website that I may not even receive a form if my tuition was completely covered with grants, scholarships, third-party etc.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

If my tuition was completely covered by FAFSA grant and a GI Bill, do I need to wait for a 1098T form to file my taxes?

The issue becomes how much income is taxable to you. If you are given scholarships, grants, etc in excess of your school expenses, that difference is taxable income to you.

You need to report the taxable income. Having the 1098T allows you to think through your options. Go online to your school Bursar account and look for your tax document. Most schools post it online.

I am also going to recommend you look at another of my answers for help.  You need to start gathering your various expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Simple answer: No. The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. 

However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or deduction or possibly you have taxable scholarship income. 

If you claim the tuition credit, you do need to report that you got one or that you qualify for an exception (the TurboTax interview will handle this)

You claim the tuition credit, or report scholarship income, based on your own financial records, not the 1098-T.   Scholarship income, if any,  must be reported.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies