jobyonekanobi

If my employer reimburses me for my tuition, can I still claim the lifetime learning credit for my MBA classes?

MinhT1

No, if your employer reimburses your tuition, you had no out-of-pocket education expense and cannot claim the Lifetime Learning credit.

Hal_Al

It's a little complicated. There's pre tax reimbursement and after tax reimbursement.

By law your employer can only give you $5250 maximum, tax free. If your tuition was less than that, and you employer reimbursed it all; it’s  safe to assume you cannot claim a credit.  You do not even need to enter your 1098-T. You have nothing to claim.

If you got more than $5250, the amount above $5250 is usually already included in box 1 of  your w-2.  Since you have essentially paid tax on that part, it  is considered your after tax money and that amount can be used  to claim the tuition credit.