greenleaf55

If I used designated tuition money from a fellowship to pay for a summer class, does that money count as as a qualified education expense?

KrisD15

Yes, after you enter the 1098-T, you can enter other expenses, such as book and supplies. Add the cost of the class there. 

KrisD15

What was it designated to be used for? Did the summer class count as part of your degree? 

greenleaf55

Thanks so much for the response. The money was designated for tuition for this summer course. However, because the money was given to me directly--and because the class was held at another university, not my home institution--it was not counted under "qualified tuition" on my 1098-T.  It basically looks like the money just went to my pocket for living expenses (which it did not).

I am wondering if there is any place on the tax form where I can note that this money was designated as tuition, and that it was used as such?

Thanks so much again!

KrisD15

greenleaf55

Thanks so much for helping resolve this!