Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

utvol83

Should I file state taxes in both Penn and Cali if I am a full-time college student in Penn but interned for 3 months in Cali.?

My daughter goes to college full time in Pennsylvania and interned for 3 months in California during 2015.  California withheld state taxes from her pay checks over the 3 month period.  She is claimed as a dependent on my (her Dad) taxes.  She is filing her taxes (single) and needs to know if she should file both PA and CA state taxes.  Will she be double-taxed?  Or, can she get a credit in one of the states so she doesn't have to pay both state taxes on the same income?  Thank you for your advice.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Should I file state taxes in both Penn and Cali if I am a full-time college student in Penn but interned for 3 months in Cali.?

If her state of residence is not CA but she earned income in CA, she will need to file a nonresident state income tax return in CA.

She will need to file as non-resident for CA (for her CA source income only). She will also need to file a resident state tax return (for all income from all sources including CA). She will get a state tax credit in her state of residence for any CA state taxes that she paid on her nonresident CA state tax return.

She will want to work on your non-resident CA state tax return first. She will then take a tax credit from her non-resident CA return on her resident state tax return. (Please note that she will only get a tax credit for her CA taxes up to the amount of resident state taxes that would have been paid if the income was earned in her state of residence). 

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your non-resident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see entire answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

If her state of residence is not CA but she earned income in CA, she will need to file a nonresident state income tax return in CA.

She will need to file as non-resident for CA (for her CA source income only). She will also need to file a resident state tax return (for all income from all sources including CA). She will get a state tax credit in her state of residence for any CA state taxes that she paid on her nonresident CA state tax return.

She will want to work on your non-resident CA state tax return first. She will then take a tax credit from her non-resident CA return on her resident state tax return. (Please note that she will only get a tax credit for her CA taxes up to the amount of resident state taxes that would have been paid if the income was earned in her state of residence). 

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your non-resident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see entire answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies