Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

danobi1

I was reimbursed by my employer for my tuition, but my parents paid the tuition and got the refund from my employer. Does it count as my employer-provided assistance?

I worked for the university I attended, and part of the benefits was having my tuition covered. However, it came in the form of a refund. My parents paid my tuition and got the refund. They also listed me as a dependent in their taxes. Would I record the refund as part of my employer-provided assistance?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

I was reimbursed by my employer for my tuition, but my parents paid the tuition and got the refund from my employer. Does it count as my employer-provided assistance?

Q. Does it count as my employer-provided assistance?

A. Yes.

Q. Would I record the refund as part of my employer-provided assistance?

A. Probably not.  

If your parents are claiming you as a dependent, they will be the ones claiming a tuition credit, if one is allowed. They may need to "record"  the refund. They will need to adjust the amount of qualified expenses they use to calculate the credit by the amount of your tax free assistance. The TurboTax interview handles this. 

By law your employer can only give you $5250 maximum, tax free. If your tuition was less than that, and you employer reimbursed it all; it’s  safe to assume it does not need to be reported. Your parents do not even need to enter your 1098-T, as they have nothing to claim (unless there are additional expenses for books and a computer).

If you got more than $5250, the amount above $5250 is usually already included in box 1 of  your w-2 and you do not need to enter anything additional on your tax return.  Since you have essentially paid tax on that part, it  is considered your after tax money and that amount can be used  to claim the tuition credit. It can be claimed on your parent's return, since you are their dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies