turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was a student from August 2019- December of 2019 for an EMT certification. Can I claim the money I paid out for this schooling and if so how do I do it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

I was a student from August 2019- December of 2019 for an EMT certification. Can I claim the money I paid out for this schooling and if so how do I do it?

No, you cannot deduct the training expenses for an EMT certification.

Per IRS Topic 513 to be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves skills needed in your present work or (2) a law requires to keep your present salary, status or job. However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education can't be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your present trade or business.

If you are not in the EMT profession the training expenses would qualify you for a new trade or business.

If you are currently working for the organization and need the training to maintain the EMT Certification the training would be considered an employee business expense.  

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act suspended miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor under section 67(a) of the Internal Revenue Code unless you are an Armed Forces reservist, a qualified performing artist, a fee-basis state or local government official, or an employee with impairment-related work expenses. 

Due to the suspension of miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor under section 67(a), employees who do not fit into one of the listed categories cannot deduct employee business expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot deduct the training expenses for an EMT certification.

Per IRS Topic 513 to be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves skills needed in your present work or (2) a law requires to keep your present salary, status or job. However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education can't be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your present trade or business.

If you are not in the EMT profession the training expenses would qualify you for a new trade or business.

If you are currently working for the organization and need the training to maintain the EMT Certification the training would be considered an employee business expense.  

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act suspended miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor under section 67(a) of the Internal Revenue Code unless you are an Armed Forces reservist, a qualified performing artist, a fee-basis state or local government official, or an employee with impairment-related work expenses. 

Due to the suspension of miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor under section 67(a), employees who do not fit into one of the listed categories cannot deduct employee business expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies