Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was a student and a dependent in 2018, and when I try to enter the information for my 1098-T form, it says “You must fix errors on this page before continuing.” However, there are NO error

Just to clarify, if I’m a dependent, do I fill out the 1098-T?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I was a student and a dependent in 2018, and when I try to enter the information for my 1098-T form, it says “You must fix errors on this page before continuing.” However, there are NO error

More than likely you are not the one to report the education expenses or claim any of the credits. Since you were a dependent in 2018 it's more likely your parent's are the ones who will report the 1098-T and claim all the education expenses. Basically, since you qualify to be claimed as a dependent on your parent's tax return, you won't qualify for anywhere near the credits your parents will. It also doesn't matter if your parent's actually claimed you as a dependent or not. If you just *QUALIFY* to be claimed as a dependent, that automatically disqualifies you for a fair number of education credits.

But there are situations where you would be the one to report the education stuff. For example, if the amount of scholarships, grants and/or 529 distributions received in 2018 were more than your qualified education expenses paid in 2018, then you report the education stuff be cause you (not your parents) will pay tax on any and all excess scholarships, grants and/or 529 funds received.

Basically what you have to do is delete the 1098-T completely and re-enter it manually, one keystroke at a time. Do not copy/paste. Do not import anything. You *MUST* manually enter it one single keystroke at a time. No mistakes either. If you make a mistake and click the BACK button, you may find yourself back to square one in the same situation you're in right now.

Now take special note that since you did state you were a dependent in 2018, then you don't have a choice here. You absolutely must select the option to indicate that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return. It doesn't matter if they actually claimed you as a dependent or not either. You deal with the dependency issue under the "My Info" tab, and not in the education section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies